I have about 5 unfinished posts going on today so hang in there with me.
I just wanted to take a minute to share with you some very sad news that happened yesterday. Jeb and I sat in bed in great anticipation of watching the start of the Olympic marathon trials that were to take place in NYC yesterday morning. The Today Show was covering it and we have been following all of the buzz in our Runners World magazine for the last 3 or so months. The coverage was very generic and really only showed the very beginnning of the race. We had anticipated getting on the computer after that to watch the middle check in and final standings less than 2 hours later. We have read the bios of all of the favorites and all of their stories of being successful fathers, husbands, employees, sons, athletes. How inspiring to read of all of them and their determination and reason for them wanting to land a spot for the USofA.
We received a phone call shortly after the race ended that Ryan Shay had collapsed and died shortly after starting his race. It made me more than sad. It more than devastated me. One of the biggest reasons being that he graduated the same year as Jeb and I. He ran in all of the elite races that Jeb had run in for both of their senior years together. I can remember us following his career, acting like we knew him as family. Part of a family that Jeb was such a big part of. Running was such a natural way of life for Jeb back then and I know for sure that he was quite honored to have come across his path a time or two. When we first started getting Runners World this summer we noticed that he was featured for an energy bar company and we were so excited to see that.
I am sad as a wife and sad as a mother. To wrap this around my brain I cannot. I only hope that in some sort of generic Hallmark way that his family can find some sort of good to all of this. He was an incredible athlete that took something that was a God given talent and lived his life loving it. We should all be so lucky.
I just wanted to take a minute to share with you some very sad news that happened yesterday. Jeb and I sat in bed in great anticipation of watching the start of the Olympic marathon trials that were to take place in NYC yesterday morning. The Today Show was covering it and we have been following all of the buzz in our Runners World magazine for the last 3 or so months. The coverage was very generic and really only showed the very beginnning of the race. We had anticipated getting on the computer after that to watch the middle check in and final standings less than 2 hours later. We have read the bios of all of the favorites and all of their stories of being successful fathers, husbands, employees, sons, athletes. How inspiring to read of all of them and their determination and reason for them wanting to land a spot for the USofA.
We received a phone call shortly after the race ended that Ryan Shay had collapsed and died shortly after starting his race. It made me more than sad. It more than devastated me. One of the biggest reasons being that he graduated the same year as Jeb and I. He ran in all of the elite races that Jeb had run in for both of their senior years together. I can remember us following his career, acting like we knew him as family. Part of a family that Jeb was such a big part of. Running was such a natural way of life for Jeb back then and I know for sure that he was quite honored to have come across his path a time or two. When we first started getting Runners World this summer we noticed that he was featured for an energy bar company and we were so excited to see that.
I am sad as a wife and sad as a mother. To wrap this around my brain I cannot. I only hope that in some sort of generic Hallmark way that his family can find some sort of good to all of this. He was an incredible athlete that took something that was a God given talent and lived his life loving it. We should all be so lucky.

No comments:
Post a Comment