Tuesday, January 12, 2010

A not of the normal ordinary, ordinary day.

Dearest Z, Al, and Beez,
What a day this has been. How can I explain to you the excitement that mom had even though we did all of our normal daily stuff? Today Mom had her 1st day of college, and although you weren't around for my first go at it, all 3 of you are around now.
Thank goodness.
Somehow I think you knew that my introduction to school was going to now have me staying up fairly late because all three of you nestled in this morning until after 9am. It was a gift, and I am more than thankful. We started the day with the cereal you picked for your 1st day back to school in the fall. Because today was mom's first day of the school year. We chit chatted from across the counter about how excited and nervous I was about going to school. I drank 2 cups of coffee and wondered if it weren't for where I am now, would I have ever started drinking coffee in the first place. It was a strange question I proposed under my own smirk.
Interesting question.
I looked at all 3 of you and wondered, if I wouldn't have dropped out and left college behind 13 years ago would I still be in love with the 3 names I gave to you when I held each of you as close as I could on the day your were born? Now versus then...
Weird.
We went about our normal clean up. We went about our normal pick up. We went about our normal shifting from one thing to another. You all curled up your noses and smiled with the squinty little "mom" smile that makes your eyes turn into slits, just like you all did identically when you were all 3 months old, when I turned up our friend John and danced around the living room wildly.
And right then, I knew you were all mine. Just from that smile.
You all followed suit during snack and sat patiently as I handed out everyone's favorites in the same order, just like I do every other day. Expecting nothing in return but the gratitude of not having to tell anyone your wishes and knowing full well that mom was going to get it done right. Without any hiccups.
Perfectly, just the way it should be.
You all welcomed your D home with open arms and told him all the normal daily stats. Who got after who and who tooted and it made the most hilarious noise. You told him that mom was going to go to school but there was no recess and asked him what he would do about a treat.
And right then I knew this was the right decision to make.
Today mom went to school while you hung out and continued to continue the rest of the day that I passed your sweet little trilogy self's over to your D.
And now that I have come home to see that you are well, I knew this was the right decision to make.
What a day this has been.
Hopefully someday I hope that I can explain to you the excitement that mom had even though we did all our normal, ordinary, daily stuff.
Thanks for letting me be a dual enrolled student.

My love, all my love,
Mom

No comments: