Saturday, October 13, 2007

"I LOVE and give thanks for my healthy Boobies!"


Us Go Mama's and our healthy boobs!

Holy Cow!



I must share with you these pictures from a week ago. I was fortunate to have my cake and eat it too. I had to be in 2 places at one time and my lovely mother stepped in and helped me out so that I could run in one of my favorite 5K's. I had such mommy guilt the entire week leading up to running but once I got myself on that beautiful trail I was able to push everything else aside. The Rememberance Run is held every October at TimberRidge campground on part of the awsome VASA trail to help kick off and celebrate October which is National Breast Cancer Awareness month. I was lucky enough to run this last year and it was a blast. Not only do the event planners put on an amazing event, the company of females only could not be beat. There are women that are there to run in rememberance of a loved one, there are women there to celebrate the life of a loved one. Either way you slice it, the atmosphere is amazing. There are pink ribbons everywhere and lots of reminders (pink "tags" that people wear on their backs to pay homage to someone) of the brave women who have fought and sometimes lost their battle with breast cancer. It is an ugly word and a feared one at that but yet it is a universal language that so many people understand. All ages were present; young and old. The greatest thing about this run is all other "rules" don't apply. You arent worried about time, pace, personal bests. You are simply there to contribute a tiny little donation to a fund that makes a generous and enormous impact on women and their families who are going through treatment. And you are there to quietly give a silent thumbs up to health, being a woman, and the grace and bravery of women who have to go down that nastly little road called cancer. I was honored to share the beautiful fall morning with such folks. I was able to reflect a little on the fact that my grandmother is a survivor. Although I was a nieve teenager when she went through her diagnosis and treatment I can only understand now that she redefines the word courage and what it truely means to be tough. I would pick her for my team in a heartbeat over Rambo.
Survivor she is. Blessed are we, her family.

No comments: