Thursday, June 19, 2008

Going Overboard, Playing pretend and Halfway There, Making a deal with the Devil

Sometimes I tend to go a little overboard. I say thank you a little too much (is there such a thing?) and then I become obnoxious. I write cards and thank again for a second or third time. When I am getting off the phone with a courtesy call, I say thank you for their time. Every morning I thank God for letting my feet hit the floor (preferably straight to the coffee pot awaiting my arrival). After I watch an episode of Jon and Kate plus 8, I turn the TV off and give thanks for parents in the world that are trying just as hard as I am to be successful for their kids. When I tuck my kids in at night I say thank you for hanging out with me today.
Why is this? I am not sure why I feel the need to ensure that everyone is happy and satisfied with my performance, my company, my time, my "being" me. Hmm...
Last Saturday I took the kids to Moomers for ice cream for a little get together with my dad for Fathers Day and when Ali, Brodie, and I were in line we ran into the sweetest little girl who was there waiting extra patiently for her turn to pick out a treat. I watched her interact with her mother in a way that I only hope that I interact with my children. This little sweet girl with the cute "pretties" in her hair had down syndrome and I believe that she was deaf also. Her mother was trying her best, in the driving sun that was beating down on us in the 15 people deep line out the door, to keep her entertained. She was telling her every time the door opened that it was almost her turn. She was steering her away from things and "doings", conversations, and temptations and tactfully explaining that she didn't need to touch everyone that was within reach. Ali was watching her and admiring the fact that she had "pigs" in her hair too. I saw Ali reach out for her hand a few times and it was only after her mother told her no that I looked at her and said yes. I told Ali to shake her hand and tell her good evening and tell her her name. The girls proceeded on and made their acquaintances with one another. She signed to her mom, please, to touch Brodie's feet and I said, yes please do. She tickled them and in true pleasant Brodie fashion smiled back. And then it was our turn and we parted ways.
I think that it was only a few days later that I was telling someone how thankful I was. I was thankful that I wasn't acting uptight. I was thankful that I am a laid back parent. I was thankful that I allowed my little "unsure about anything new" Ali the opportunity to meet a new friend. I am thankful for that mother who hopefully in turn was thankful that I allowed what was probably out of the ordinary for her to normally let her daughter do. Maybe I am making a bigger deal about this than need be, but none the less, I will continue to look at all circumstances and all things and be very thankful. Obnoxious or not this is me.
Last Sunday I set out for a little work out and a little time away from the "gerbil wheel". :) I am trying my best at following a program from my dear friends at Runnersworld.com. In a nutshell, with me, if its on paper, I have to do it. Isn't this funny? If some of you were to know me a long time ago, one could have only hoped that I had adopted this theory back then, instead of now, but alas, I digress. So ran I did. I had my little Burke (IPod) with me but decided to turn it down so that I could only hear when I was half way there so I knew when to turn around. I set out to manage my way through 8 miles. It seems as though just about every time I set out lately I tend to set up some scenario in my mind. Usually I have to talk myself up and pretend that in some sort of way there will be a prize at the end of each run. When I go to the track on Thursday's I pretend that there are people around the track shoulder to shoulder telling me to keep going, forward motion, don't stop. Most recently my thoughts are with Alicia Shay. If you don't know her story, google her. I am a sap which doesn't help, so I try and send her my well wishes in hopes that today is a good day for her. Is she running right now and trying to clear her mind too? At any rate, I am a thinker. I love to set up what it is that I need to pretend, what it is I need to figure out, what it is I need to solve. By half way there, I am that much closer to succeeding. By half way there, I feel that much more calm. By half way there, I remember to just breath and let my pony tail set pace and continue on back home. This is why I run. I am 30 years old and I still love to play pretend. You should try it, its your story, staring you, directed by you.
So on that note, today I am signing up for a 15K on Saturday July 12Th. Tomorrow it is 5 dollars more to register so today I am going to pay $25 to run 9.3 miles in the heat of a July morning down the middle of Front Street. Why you may ask? I'm not so sure myself but I am going to do it. I am a little superstitious with saying out loud how long I would like it to take me so you will have to wait for that one. The farthest I have ever run was last Sunday so in the next few weeks I hope to gain a little more confidence. In the interim, I have a certain almost 5 year olds birthday to plan. Oh my! The countdown begins.
All else is well. All 3 monkeys are accounted for. Will post some new pics tomorrow. Brodie had his 6 month well check and he is 19 pounds! Whew! We are going to venture into the world of veggie next week. How is this possible? I may even attempt to make some food for him with goods we are getting from our veggie co-op. Can't wait to see his sweet face in delight of the new world he will experience.
Until then...

My love, all my love,
Cassy

No comments: