Garbage Dumping Thursday
It's always a good thing to clean up. Throw out. Make room. Reduce the waste. Recycle the old.
The garbage dump is today. And truth be told, there is more recycle today than past.
Re-entry into the world of finish lines.
On Saturday, I get to participate in a trail 10k. Although I have put on my "support" hat for the past few months ensuring the gazelle has proper nourishment in the house (and my listening ear if by chance he were to express his love/hate relationship with running) for his marathon training, I have put my entries aside as he finely tunes his inaugural entrance into the world of 26.2. The summer came and went and I was a casual athlete. Flirting with a good workout, only if it fit into my schedule. I put myself last. I put something that I adore doing, on the back burner. I made sure everything and everyone else was taken care of before me. Historically, women in general make this mistake. So, I have amped up the lists of what needs to be done and not what could be done. I have warned my family that if I don't take the time for me, I can't be the mom/wife for them. I have also told them that I gladly accept entries to races for birthday and Christmas gifts. They have been advised. Viva la finish line!
Throwing away the back burner.
The Dad
I have great respect for the people who have raised me. My father being one of those people. I can remember when it came my turn to learn how to drive and he insisted that I learn how to drive on a stick shift vehicle before I learn otherwise. I can remember the feeling of learning how to work the clutch with the gas, and feeling so nervous about taking off successfully. Blinker on, at a stop light, getting ready, looks ok, "Either you stay or your go Cass" he would say. If you stay, wait until its clear and you are comfortable with the take off. If you go, be cautious as you enter the flow of traffic. Make sure to be aware of the dashboard and what it may tell you. Have your eyes wide opened to all that is around you. Most of the things I have learned in life somehow can be traced back to the lessons I learned from my dad and that time of learning.
Throwing away the uncertainty and doubt about staying or going.
Big fat revelatory statements
The Gazelle was working from home the other day. As was I. As we both tread water side by side, computers humming along, speaking nicely to the to do list, he left the room to grab a fax downstairs. On his return, he gracefully loped by and said, "Thanks for giving birth to the kids. That must have been hard." I sat like a confused dog who was just asked if she wanted a treat or if she wanted to go for a walk. Head cocked to one side. "Huh?!" After a brief explanation of his proclamation I am left with this... Men really are from Mars and women are really from the land of wherever. It all comes out in the wash and the ebb and flow of growth in a relationship doesn't always happen overnight. Hang tight. Don't try to figure out why the man in your life doesn't always come up to meet your "growth spurt". He's taking his time. Be patient and pour yourself a glass of wine.
Throwing away the frustration of not always knowing why.
A daughter
At first glance, I can see the daughter I gave birth to. But truth be told, it is me. When I was seven. My fellow 1st of the month birth buddy will be seven in just a few days. I am reminding myself what it is like to be 7. The excitement and possibilities of a big, huge, glorious life to prepare for. Everyone tells her that she looks just like me, but I am challenging her to go farther and do better and plan for all kinds of amazing adventures to be had. She is my friend, and for that, I am grateful and hopeful she will keep me as one of her favorites on her iphone to text and call and tell me all about the adventures of my girl.
Throwing away not being prepared to have her grow.
Its all about the balance. Its all about the people you surround yourself with. I am slowly learning to slow down and look around. But ensure the garbage gets dumped every week. Its on the to do, under have to.
Until next time.
My love, all my love...
1 comment:
I LOVE your husband's revelation. It is always surprising to me when my husband has an insight into my role in his life like that. It's cool to realize they can still learn things about us, right? And oh to have a daughter.... three boys for me and I do really think they are great men. But still... a girl would be something else. Your daughter has a great motivational mom! And the bit about sacrifices, loving that but sometimes it is at the expense of yourself? You speak for so many women and thanks for that shared wisdom. It really was a dump day - great work! Enjoyed reading about it and relating!
Post a Comment